Monday, November 28, 2011

Leaves of Grass

Garden Inspiration

I learned to knit from my mother when I was, perhaps, 10 yrs old. After a 35 year hiatus, I tried it again and I'm having great fun! Last year I jumped right in and knit up some little tops for myself and my niece; created some fun berets, a scarf, a shawl/wrap and a couple of cardigans; just finished off a lovely alpaca and wool shawl for a cousin of mine. Every project is different and brings with it another challenge and learning opportunity.

OK, so you're probably asking yourself... that's all very well and good, but what has this to do with gardening?
AHA... my new project and first lace object: A beautiful round shawl called Leaves Of Grass created by the very talented Jared Flood for Brooklyn Tweed.
What a gorgeous representation of nature!

The wool I am using (Brooklyn Tweed's Loft)  is 100% American, grown in Wyoming and then spun in an historic mill in New Hampshire.


Here are some pictures of the finished object taken from the pattern:


And here is a picture of the beginnings of my Leaves shawl:


I'm feeling very inspired, and can't wait to complete it. I would love to present this as a christmas gift this year to a very gifted gardener and talented knitter:
my dearest mother.

hmmmm... I've got one month. Time to shut off the computer and sit down to the needles and lace chart!

No comments:

Post a Comment