Monday, March 12, 2012

Stock Tank Water Garden is in!

In between drizzle, rain, and fog, I've managed to purchased my stock tank and get it installed in the garden. I am SO excited.

Living in the hill country west of Austin means zero soil in the garden. OK, I might be exaggerating. I have 2". Then it's pure, solid limestone. How wonderful it would be to have a pond in the back yard, and to enjoy another element of gardening: water gardening! But here? In my backyard? Not gonna happen. 
I came across the idea of using a raised stock tank as a pond, or water garden (thanks again Pam Penick), and I knew I had to have one. No digging! What a perfect solution for practical reasons... but how cool, different, and very Austin!

A few weeks ago, my son and I drove out to the McCoy's lumber store in Bee Cave and picked up a 6 foot diameter stock tank. My pick-up bed is, fortunately, 8' long... but only 4' wide. That was one scary drive home, what with 2' hanging out over the side of the truck. I had a movie playing in my head of it rolling out of the truck, down the highway, with cars swerving left and right trying to avoid it's oncoming path. Lest you think I didn't strap it down, I did. I don't think it could move an inch. Couldn't stop me from imagining pure and total mayhem behind me as I cruised down the highway.

Well, we made it home with no drama, thank goodness! Rolled it out of the truck, through the back gate and across the yard to it's reserved spot in the garden. Oh, and a tip for anyone thinking of rolling a tank across a back lawn... make sure you clean up any doggie doos first. Finding surprises on the side of the tank as it's 130 pound bulk is rolling towards you isn't pleasant!

Here are some pictures of the tank in position and getting filled with 394 gallons of water:




After visiting the nice people at Hill Country Water Gardens and purchasing some great water lilies and bog plants, I think it's all starting to take shape!
I'll post more on the great pond plants I got there! But for now: 




I am so excited for the weather to warm up so I can add some little mosquito fish to the pond... and of course for those lilies to start blooming. One of the plants already has two buds on it! oooohhh. Can't wait!!

8 comments:

  1. It's absolutely wonderful. It looks SO GOOD! Congratulations. Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so happy to have it... it's added a whole other dimension to the back!

      Delete
  2. It looks splendid and love the planting. I was eyeing up tanks today but couldn't decide which size. Seeing yours makes me more determined than ever to go get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I got the 6' diameter which is perfect for the space. However, I don't think you can go too big! I believe 8' is the largest I've seen. Let me know if you get one!

      Delete
  3. Looks great! I'm so happy to find somebody else who's just starting out with a stock tank pond as well! I've added your blog to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vickie! I've added your blog to my list as well. I'll keep tabs on your progress! I haven't had too much trouble with algae bloom yet, although I've noticed a little growing on the sides of the tank which I'm happy about. I think it's stained yellow from the oak pollen!

      Delete
  4. Your garden looks great. Your story about driving home with a stock tank in the back of a truck reminds me of the trip home with mine. I was sure it would fly out even though I had it strapped down tightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      It amazes me when I see pictures of tanks strapped to the roofs of cars... now THAT would be too much for me.

      Delete